Fresh from the farm!
Makes 4 servings
4 large ripe tomatoes
4 medium eggs (farm fresh are best!)
4 tablespoons goat cheese or feta
1 pound spinach
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425˚
- Cut off the top of the tomato and using a paring knife, carefully cut out the inside of the tomato – I find it easiest to make the initial cut with a knife and use a serrated grapefruit spoon to finish hollowing out the tomato (save the insides for making fresh salsa!)
- Sprinkle the insides of the tomato with salt and pepper and place opening down on paper towel to drain out any excess fluid
- While the tomatoes are resting, steam or saute the spinach – drain any excess water out of the spinach after it has been cooked
- Place about 1/4 cup cooked spinach in the bottom of the tomato, pressing down to make room for other ingredients
- Crack one large into the tomato shell on top of the spinach
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and top with goat (or feta) cheese
- Bake at 425˚ for 20-25 minutes, making sure the yolk doesn’t become too firm (for Ren I cook on the longer end for a pudding-like yolk)
This recipe is so yummy and so easy!
It would be great for a Sunday brunch get-together!
Ren ate 1 1/2 himself!
*Recipe from npr.com